Sunday, March 16, 2014

Smoothie Sunday: Chocolate Chimp

Smoothie Sunday is here, and today's featured drink is a mixture of fruit, veggie, and a little bit of guilt. The recipe was taken from the Big Book of Juices & Green Smoothies 3 but I altered it a little.

Chocolate Chimp Recipe
1 frozen banana
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 cup loosely packed baby spinach
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk


If you are not used to green smoothies you are probably thinking, "spinach? Ewwww" but I promise you, you can't even taste the spinach once you blend it all together. At least try it once and if you don't like it, just exclude the spinach next time, but the vitamins and health benefits are well worth it! 

First alteration: the recipe called for 1 Tablespoon peanut butter, but my husband and I are peanut butter junkies so we think it tastes much better with two. 

Second: the recipe also called for 1 Tablespoon Cocoa powder and 1/2 cup Almond milk (I used vanilla) but you could also use Dark Chocolate Almond milk and exclude the cocoa powder. 

Thirdly: the recipe calls for stevia in almost all of the smoothies, (in this case it was 1-2 drops) but I just used sweetened almond milk and I found the taste was plenty sweet without the stevia. 

Lastly: the recipe called for 6 ice cubes, but I used a frozen banana instead. If you peel and slice the banana into chunks, you can store it in the freezer until you are ready to make your smoothie. Doing this eliminates the need for ice.



Give it a try and let me know what you think! And don't forget to sign up to win a copy of this book:

Click Here for details!



3 comments:

  1. Yep, that's what I was thinking - "spinach? Ewwww"
    I like spinach, just not so sure in a drink. It actually doesn't look that bad. I would probably try it once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove spinach in my smoothies. I was hesitant when I first tried it too but now I love it. I also love using organic frozen spinach. Then it's ice and spinach in one. My plan is to eventually make my way to kale in my smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl!!! I just made the most amazing fruit smoothie with kale!!! I'll post it soon, you have got to try it!

      Delete

Search This Blog